Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Quirks and Smiles


When you live abroad, it is unavoidable that you will encounter bizarre things and there will be a lot to get used to. This seems to be especially true in China.  Every day I experience a range of emotions, from elation to frustration and confusion.  I love exchanging smiles and greetings with the students on campus and the shop vendors outside of the campus gates.   Little things make me very happy (like how excited my students got when they learned I have three brothers and that two are twins).  However, there are definitely plenty of things that just don’t make sense to me. 
The washing machine in my apartment is a fine example of bizarre inexplicableness.  Before doing a load of laundry, I hook up a hose to the faucet to fill the machine with water.  Once the load is done, I have to turn a dial to empty the water from the machine.  Now, all the washing machines I’ve seen in the States will rinse the soap off the clothes and wring the clothes so they are not sopping wet when you pull them out.  Also, when the water drains it goes into pipes and you don’t have to worry about it.  Here, though, my clothes come out completely sopping wet and soapy, and the water drains out of the hose onto the floor.  I have to stand there with my foot against the hose to guide it toward the drain (although I’m going to look for a brick or something heavy to keep it in place).  It doesn’t make me angry- in fact, I think it’s rather amusing. But it does mean that washing laundry is a much more hands-on affair than it normally is!  It also means that my excitement at having a bathtub is not because I can take a bath, but because it gives me a place to rinse my laundry and wring out the water after its time in the washing machine!
Washing machine, with the hose aimed toward the drain.  It's actually a  Chinese squat toilet.  The hose is not long enough so I have to stand there and use my foot to aim it toward the hole, otherwise it just pools on the floor.
My washing machine, with the hose hooked up to the sink.
Also, I do not get hot water in the kitchen sink, so when I want to wash dishes I have to fill a bucket with hot water in the shower and then bring it to the kitchen to wash my things.  Luckily I don’t have to wash dishes very often because I live alone, and I eat most of my meals at the student and staff dining halls. 
At my site, the only foreigners are Mary and I, so naturally the people here are very curious to see foreigners.  I am new so I get a lot of attention.  Also, Mary says that I fit their idea of an American more than she does because she’s middle aged, and more than the previous volunteer did, who had dark hair because her father was from India.  Because of their lack of exposure to foreigners, they often do not seem to know how to react to seeing me.  Apparently it is not rude to stare because I get that a lot.  I try as much as possible to smile and say “nihao”, which often causes them to look surprised but most of them will smile in return.  I think they’re just surprised to hear me speak Chinese.  If I have time, I try to have a conversation with them in Chinese, although unfortunately they seem to think that if I can say certain things, then I must understand everything.  I can get through introducing myself and some basic small talk, and then eventually I have to tell them “ting bu dong” when they go off at me in Chinese. 
Now that I’ve been here over a week, some of the vendors get really excited when they see me, and they give me a big smile and a wave.  I look forward to being a recognized individual in the community.
I have heard of other volunteers becoming negative about all the different things and quirks in China but I hope I can overcome all that with a positive attitude.  That strategy has worked for me many times before, especially while traveling or living abroad when so many things are out of your control.  Instead of getting frustrated and angry about the inconvenient things in my apartment, I just turn on some music to make laundry or dish washing more enjoyable.  Instead of getting annoyed at all the stares, I smile and say “nihao” or “hello.”  There are a lot of things to get used to, but as long as I can find a strategy that works well enough and allows me to get by, I will be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment