Thursday, September 27, 2012

Celebrity Status


In many places in China (basically anywhere besides the major cities), foreigners are a rare thing to see.  Thus, whenever I go somewhere, I am met with stares and whispers shared behind hands.  Sometimes it bothers me and I just ignore it, but for the most part it’s pretty amusing.  I’m so used to just blending in and now people are so often fascinated by my mere presence.  I guess I look like a “typical” American, or at least their idea of one, with my blonde-ish hair, green eyes, and pale skin, and I’m always like some rare species that makes a sudden appearance.
            Yesterday I went to another city, Mianyang, to extend my visa with my school’s foreign affairs liaison, Kerry.  His friend teaches at a high school there and so of course I was invited to their class.  From the moment I stepped out of Kerry’s car, I had people staring, and a group of boys walking in front of us kept turning back to stare and whisper.  As we walked off the stairs, a girl ran up to me and said, “You’re beautiful!!” and then ran off again.  When I walked in the classroom, I saw their faces light up as a collective gasp rose from the room.  As funny as it is to be seen as someone so special, I think it is good for the students to see me and hear because they do not get the opportunity to meet and talk with foreigners very often.
It’s a great opportunity for cross-cultural exchange. As long as people don’t interact with people from other cultures and countries, there will continue to be misunderstanding and strife between people.  Sometimes I feel just a little bit self-conscious because I don’t consider myself a typical American since I am not interested in the things that are popular in America.  But then I remind myself to just be me, and usually the students are really excited to hear anything I have to say.  The Chinese students get to see the diversity of Americans, and it doesn’t matter whether I fit what they think of Americans from the media.  In fact, I think it’s better that I don’t because they can learn that not all Americans are the same.  Plus it’s kind of fun to be in the spotlight for once.  If I come back to America with a swelled head, you’ll know why. J

No comments:

Post a Comment