Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween Party 2013

Last night’s Halloween Party was a chaotic jumble where things didn’t always go as planned but everyone had a great time (and took a bazillion pictures).
            A group of students helped Kayla and I bring all the party materials to the English Library around 6, for the party which would start at 7.  They were a great help, even though most of them were new students and didn’t speak English well.  We laid out the food (bread bones, chocolate caramel apples, pumpkin bread, oranges with jack-o-lantern faces drawn on, and banana ghosts).  We had apples for bobbing and we put them in a bowl with water to show that they were off-limits.  We attached the photo props to chopsticks and set them by the Halloween decorations to serve as a backdrop.  Paper, glue sticks, pencils, and stencils were set out on the table for mask-making.  I had hoped to have the students carve pomelo skins for jack-o-lanterns like last year, but unfortunately after sitting in my apartment for a few days the skins were moldy and soggy.  Only one was still dry and almost mold-free.  I cut a face in it, intending to light a candle underneath and encourage students to try the idea at home. By 6:30 students were already arriving, and next thing you know I’m swept into a flurry of photo-taking with students that lasts for the next thirty minutes. 
            <I should tell the students not to eat the apples because they’re for a game…>
            Mira, come take a photo with me! 
            Now me!
            <Two steps forward, elbow is grabbed>
            Here wear this mask!  Take a photo, ok?
            <Students keep walking off with the photo props and not putting them back, I should collect them.>
            Mira, this is my friend! She wants to have a photo with you.
            I love you!
            <Ok we just met, but I love you too!>
            Kayla, Mira, come take a photo!
            <Ugh that girl is wearing the semi-moldy pomelo jack-o-lantern on her head, I should probably tell her not to.>
            Mira, look at our masks!
            <Oh those are great! Let me take some pictures.>

            The students must not have eaten in weeks, because they devoured EVERYthing edible on that table.  They must have wondered why the heck the apples were floating in water.  Well, so much for bobbing for apples.  Needless to say, my intentions weren’t completely fulfilled.  The apples were eaten, the photo props wandered off and a few were incorporated into students’ masks, and the pomelo skin bounced from head to head.  I guess I can’t be everywhere at once, especially when there are 50 students crowded into a small library!
            We had a contest for the students who’d made masks, but because I could never move more than two feet across the room, I wasn’t able to tell them how to make them more interesting.  Many students just cut out the mask shape and tied on a string, without decorating it all.  I had all the students who’d made masks stand on one side of the room, and then chose 10 students to each choose their favorites.  From there, we whittled it down to about 6 winners.
            Apart from vanished apples and plain masks, the other activities were a huge success.  I’d brought 4 toilet paper rolls and it was riot to watch the teams compete to wrap their friends as mummies.  Pin-the-nose-on-the-pumpkin was hilarious, although Chinese students really need to loosen up and have a little fun.  They were giving correct instructions to the blind-folded person! Where is the fun in that?!  It amuses me greatly to offer cheers when they’re about to place the nose in the wrong place, and see the surprise on their faces when they lift the scarf. 
            One of the highlights of the night was teaching students part of the Thriller dance.  Kayla and I had started learning it this past weekend.  I didn’t realize how many parts there were to the dance!  Videos on YouTube were only moderately helpful, but they went too fast and didn’t review enough.  To keep things simple, Kayla and I only taught 4 eight-counts.  The students loved it and it was really easy for them.

            We were surprised and rather overwhelmed at the number of students who came to the party.  We’d expected no more than 30, but about 50 came.  The noise and having to yell over everyone to get their attention left me with a headache by the end and I was happy when it was over, but the party went really well overall and I could see the excitement on my students’ faces and the gratitude when they said goodbye.  And in the end, that’s what always makes it worth all the headaches and frustrations.

The infamous pomelo skin jack-o-lantern

No comments:

Post a Comment