Sunday, March 31, 2013

Xishuangbanna (2/6-9/13)


We survived our first overnight bus in China! It was cool because there weren’t many other people beside the eight of us. Plus there was space in a compartment under our heads to store stuff. I thought I’d slept alright but today I’ve been so tired. The bus kept zig-zagging which made us rock back and forth in our beds. I even thought I might get sick so at one point I took a motion sickness pill.  I was fine, but I still don’t understand why the bus rocked so much.
Our first sleeper bus. You can see there are three rows of bunk beds- very narrow beds, but hey, we got our own space!
So cozy! Well, I'm not super tall so I was cozy.
We got to the Mekong International Hostel around 9:30 and we’re hoping to take a nap.  Unfortunately the rooms weren’t ready because check-out wasn’t until 12.  So we left our luggage in the stairwell and walked around to kill time and orient ourselves.  We were able to buy our bus tickets to Dali, but instead of leaving Saturday night as I’d planned, we have to leave Sunday morning because the only bus to Dali is at 10 AM every morning.  It’s too bad that wasn’t more clear online, but things often change so maybe that’s a new thing.  We got the tickets for Sunday morning and luckily we were able to extend our stay at the Mekong another night.
 I use the term “luckily” lightly because it was a pretty lame hostel.  When we came back at 12, the rooms still hadn’t been cleaned, the beds weren’t made, and actually some other girl’s stuff was still on my bed.  So much for that nap! While we’d been walking, I bought an avocado for 5 RMB (less than $1) which for China is super cheap (other volunteers have mentioned spending 30-50 RMB (that’s $5-8 for ONE avocado!).  It wasn’t super ripe but I ate the whole thing on a piece of bread- yum!  My first time having avocado since coming to China, and boy, had I missed that taste!  I also got 4 little mangoes for 10 RMB.
Arriving in Paradise
The worst thing about the hostel was that in the whole place, there were a grand total of two bathrooms.  That’s right. I questioned the lady at the front desk if that was really true, and she yes, because there were only three floors with dorms!  Yeah, and each floor had how many guests?  The hostel wasn’t super crowded but even so there must have been 40 or 50 people staying there.  The shower is just a hose attached to the wall and the floor is filthy.  Also, after washing my laundry in the sink I drained the water and it all came rushing out from the base of the sink and on to the floor. 
I guess we were a little spoiled with the Upland in Kunming because now this hostel seems really horrible. 
But regardless of the conditions of our living quarters for the next four nights, Xishuangbanna is incredibly beautiful.  We the farthest south in Yunnan and are super close to Thailand and Laos, and you can really see the influence here.  There’s Thai writing everywhere and we had delicious Thai food twice on the first day. As I write this, I’m chilling on the patio in shorts, a T-shirt, and flip flops.  When I left Jiangyou back in January, the weather had been in the low 30s F, and maybe even dipping into the 20s.  The weather in Xishuangbanna feels great!
How could you feel unhappy in a place like this??
Thursday
This morning was a little bit disappointing.  Kelly, Jason, Ben, and I had gotten up early to go see the elephant reserve, but when we got to the bus station, they said there were no buses- apparently, the one bus that goes everyday leaves at 7:30 AM.  The hostel receptionist had said we could get there by 10.  I guess I should’ve known better not to trust them.  They just seem really indifferent to their guests’ needs.  It’s not traveler friendly- there are no posters about events or places to go, or maps.  I just don’t get it.  They must get questions like that all the time.  You’d think they’d have more information available for their guests.
After that, we were kind of at a loss as to what to do. We went back to the hostel, and then Kelly and I went to a café, and were joined later by Aaron and Isai.  I got a pineapple stuffed with rice, which was pretty good.
I’ve been spending a lot of money on food on our trip so far, or at least, a lot more than I could be spending.  There are just so many types of food that I don’t have access to at my site, and as much as I love Chinese food, there are certainly some things I’d been missing.  Like I said, we had Thai food twice yesterday, and I’ve been buying dried mango, dried coconut, banana chips, fresh mango, and fresh coconut.  I decided that I would enjoy my vacation, and I even took out some money from my American account to indulge my expensive eating.
Delicious Thai food! Pad thai and Thai milk tea, YUM.
Pineapple rice!
I’m a little worried, though, because some people are getting low on cash and have expressed money or schedule concerns.  I was a little surprised to hear that because I made pretty detailed estimates in the itinerary I’d made before our trip, and I thought people knew what they were getting into.  Then again, I planned it all without anyone with me to consult, and the information online isn’t always reliable (as I mentioned).  I think some people were also surprised that I didn’t have a daily plan.  But I did that on purpose so that we could have freedom to choose our activities based on our moods and interests. 
That being said, the complaints or concerns are really minimal, and in all I’m just grateful at how smoothly this trip is going.  I’d been worried that traveling in a group of eight would just be a major headache, because I thought people would be arguing about where to eat or what to do, but this group has a very good balance of people who are willing to lead and the rest who are easy going and willing to do whatever.  Anyway I’m just trying not to worry much and instead just enjoy being here as much as possible.  I mean, I’m in the tropics surrounded by beauty and delicious food and I didn’t have to pay for a flight to get here!
Friday
Today we went on a jungle trek! We hired a man who works at a café across from the hostel to take us through the jungle.  It was very beautiful- there were banana trees and rubber trees all over and the sun was shining brightly without a cloud in the sky.  Actually we couldn’t see much of the sky for the first half because we were in the thick of the jungle.  The trail was super narrow and we had to push past branches and bushes.  Some points were really steep, going both up and down.  At one point pretty early in to the day, Mike twisted his ankle stepping on a log and I felt bad that he had the whole rest of the day to go.  But he seemed to manage alright with a walking stick.  After lunch, we emerged from the jungle on to a dirt road, which was nice because it wasn’t steep like in the jungle but it also meant we were walking in hot sun with only a little shade.  We walked for several hours, and stopped to wait for our van at someone’s house. I don’t know if it’s common for them to have exhausted hikers slouching and napping in their living room, but they didn’t seem to mind at all.  That was very nice because I was so exhausted and I was definitely one of those people snoozing, head lolling back on the couch and drool most likely dripping out of my mouth.
After the trek, I took my first shower at the hostel since coming there three days ago (because it was hard to find a time when there weren’t many people waiting in line, and also because I figured I’d just delay dealing with the weird shower situation as long as possible).  It felt good to be clean again.  Jeff and I cooked a delicious late night meal in the hostel kitchen. He made tomato sauce and stir fried mushrooms, cauliflower, and zucchini.  I made stuffed bell peppers for the first time, at his directions, which turned out to be delicious.

Night market









Saturday
Delicious Dai minority food
Banana trees
Excited for a delicious meal
Chinese New Year!  By sheer chance, Isai had run into one of his students the other day while walking around, and she invited us to her home to eat dinner with her family.  That was wonderful serendipity.  I had thought it would be too bad that we couldn’t see our Chinese host families for the holiday because we‘d be traveling, but it turns that we were able to have both (vacation and also New Year’s with a family). The live in an eco-tourism village which I’m guessing means they often have foreigners come and visit, because her family didn’t seem that surprised when the eight of us big Americans came into their wooden house.  They had so much food prepared for us, which was all delicious and special because they are part of the Dai minority so they served food that was very different than other Chinese food we’re used to.  There was shredded pork, fried pork skins, and even some sauces that tasted like salsa- it almost could have been Mexican food!  The meat was especially great because it wasn’t a mouth trap of tiny bones like most cooked meat in China- in fact, there weren’t bones at all.  It was also nice because I wasn’t the only foreigner so I didn’t have to struggle with awkward conversation in Chinese. I let the more competent speakers in our group do the talking with the family.  I can understand most things but speaking is still a challenge for me, and I really don’t know a whole lot of words.

No comments:

Post a Comment